Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Taj Mahal!!

This weekend, a group of 7 of us from Deloitte made the trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It was a LOT of travelling, but I must say it was worth it! It's a 2-hour flight from Hyderabad to Delhi. In Delhi, a tour bus picked us up and drove us to Agra (about a 5-6 hour drive).

The negatives: I didn't sleep Friday night since I got back to the hotel at 1:30 and we had to leave for the airport at 4. Airport security seemed somewhat lax which was concerning. Waiting at the airport was annoying because people here cut in line all the time. The flight was cramped and people here don't generally use deodorant so I had to hold my nose a lot. I didn't eat anything but 2 Zone bars and a mini can of Pringles on Saturday until 7:30 pm. Our group got stared at a lot. And I felt gross and dirty after such a long weekend.

The positives: I got to know 5 new people at the firm and had a lot of fun with everyone. I saw monkeys, camels, elephants, and a mongoose. I experienced Indian McDonalds (instead of the McCurry, I chose the McChicken). This very sweet old security guard at the hotel in Agra gave me a personal tour of the grounds because he didn't want me the be alone outside at night, so I made a new friend there - and he called me a "VVIP" (one of the few things I understood). And of course, best of all... I GOT TO SEE THE TAJ MAHAL!!!!!!








1 comment:

Meg Natraj said...

You had such beautiful weather! I'm jealous! :-)