Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 3: Still loving it

I am just loving this trip! I'm even getting used to the crazy way they drive here!

Yesterday was a long day. I guess I hadn't adjusted to the time change as well as I thought, because I went to sleep at 1:30 Monday night and woke up 3 hours later, and I'm talking 100% awake and ready to go! I tried staying in bed, watching TV, listening to my iPod, but nothing worked so I just got up, went to the gym, had breakfast, called Phil, and called my parents. Finally, 11:00 rolled around and I met my colleagues downstairs for lunch at the hotel. Then we went SHOPPING!!

The driver took us to Mebaz, which is an upscale clothing and accessories store. The women's section only had Indian dresses, so I bought certain gift items but I can't elaborate. I was jealous of the men's store, though. They make custom designer suits and it is a steal compared to prices in the US. Jon bought a pair of Armani pants for about $40!

Yesterday was a long day once we got to the office. At 2:00 I already felt that I had had a full day, but work had just started. In the evening I was a complete zombie. We got back to the hotel around midnight, though, and by then I was wide awake. I had to resort to the Ambien again.

This morning I got up early and my driver took me to Sakhi's house. Her sister, who is a designer, was sick, so Sakhi showed me all of the fabrics and I picked out a bunch of clothes. Sakhi's house is like a palace! It is gated and a servant opened the gates when I got there. She met me out front and we stepped inside on the marble floors and took an elevator upstairs. She took me to a room with all of the clothes and fabrics laid out and then yelled something in Hindi. Another servant came out and brought me a glass of water on a tray. I spent about an hour trying on clothes! Her sister's designs are amazing. I am getting one specially made salwar kameez in pink and white to wear to the party on Friday. I may not ever have occasion to wear it again (until I come back) but it is soooo pretty and comfortable too! I also bought a lot of tunic-type tops that I can wear at home. It was so much fun!

The room we were in had a large window overlooking the back lawn. I had a view of a gorgeous lawn. Two men were mowing it using one of those old push lawnmowers that look like a toddler’s toy (no motor). There were servants’ quarters tucked away at the back of the lawn behind some trees. I can’t imagine having servants who live on your grounds!

Today will be a short day at work. The whole team (10 of us) is going to Snow World and then to a nice dinner at the Marriott - which the expats tell me has an ice cream place like Marble Slab that's very good. Speaking of food, so far I'm not having any problems. The funny thing is that I'm not used to hesitating so much before trying things (specially things that SEEM familiar - because sometimes when you think you are getting something you like, it turns out to be VERY different than what you were expecting!)

Soon I will post pictures from today's activities!!

No comments: