Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Birthday to Phil from Frankfurt!

Today is my handsome husband's 27th birthday!! Our Sunday school class is having a breakfast brunch to celebrate the birthdays of Phil, Dale, and Elon. So even though I can't be there, I know he'll at least get a good hot breakfast (yummy brunch casserole courtesy of sweet Dana). As the Mom Song reminds us, of course, breakfast is the most important part of the day!

For the past couple of days I have been very sad/nervous and not wanting to leave. But once I was finally packed, I started to feel better. Friday night, I surprised Phil with a birthday dinner at Nick & Sam's - our FAVORITE steakhouse. Then we stopped at the West Village for some Paciugo ice cream and wandered around for a while. It was a great date night!

Yesterday morning we woke up early and went out to the dam over Joe Pool Lake. It was the most beautiful, cool, and breezy morning. I had to run for 1 hour for my half-marathon training program, so Phil ran along with me. Then we went home and made a great big breakfast, ran a quick errand... and suddenly it was time to leave!

I got to DFW really early, but that was fine because I was given access to the Lufthansa club lounge. It was a nice quiet place to talk on the phone, watch the planes landing and taking off, and have some free drinks and snacks.

The flight was pretty good. It was about a 9.5 hour trip. I was allowed to book a "business class" ticket which I assumed had a little more leg room than coach, but not as comfy or well-serviced as first. But I was wrong! On this flight, there was no "first class". Business class had lie-flat seats and feather pillows and personal entertainment systems. (I watched "Premonition" and "Because I Said So" - both only average. I give them sideways thumbs.) We had cocktails, hors d'Ĺ“uvres, a salad, an entree, and dessert. Altogether pretty nice.

We landed in Frankfurt as the sun was coming up. They bused us from the plane to the airport so I could tell that it was pretty cool outside. And there were tons of cute little German women wearing cowgirl hats, cowgirl boots, rhinestones, and carrying hot pink Mary Kay bags. I had a broken conversation with the girl sitting next to me and I guess there was some sort of international Mary Kay convention in Dallas last week.

So now I'm just sitting here in the lounge with another 30 minutes to kill. My next flight will be another 9 or 10 hours from here to Hyderabad. Once I land in Hyderabad around 11 pm local time, a driver will be taking me to my hotel, the Taj Krishna. I'm not too worried about jet lag. I don't have to be in the office until 2 pm on Monday. And I have Ambien!

Sorry there are no pictures yet....

No comments: