Friday, October 19, 2007

Cultural differences

A few funny things I've noticed.
  1. I always wind up doing the awkward "hallway dance" when passing people in the office. I finally realized it's because I'm used to keeping to the right, but they drive on the left here, so naturally, they walk that way too.
  2. Here, the head signal for "yes" isn't the up-and-down nod that I'm used to. It's almost like shaking your head "no" but with a little more wobble to it, kind of like a bobble head doll! This really confused me at first because when I was ordering at the restaurants, I misinterpreted the waiters' head movements for disapproval of my menu choice.
  3. I've finally gotten used to all the honking in the streets but at first it startled me a lot because I thought there were so many near-accidents going on. Cars honk just to say "I'm here" and no one interprets that as being rude. They honk to say "I'm passing you". They honk to tell pedestrians they're coming up behind them. They honk when they pull out into oncoming traffic to say "watch out". They honk for just about everything except the buffalo.
  4. Men are much more "touchy" with each other but it doesn't mean anything. It's not unusual to see men walking arm in arm, holding hands, or dancing very close on the dance floor.

No comments: