Monday, October 8, 2007

Countdown to the big trip...

Only 5 days left until I leave. I am excited and also a little nervous. Among the random advice I've gotten from my colleagues who have been to Hyderabad...
  • Bring chocolate for your training sessions - they love American chocolate. (So I bought $100 of chocolates and Halloween candy at Costco this weekend.)
  • Don't calculate tips by converting what you'd normally tip in USD to rupees, because you will probably wind up "tipping" in the amount of someone's weekly salary (I say why not? I like to be liked!)
  • Bring any clothes you like because "they can make any clothes that you want here if they have an example." (Hmm. I will have to think about what clothes I want cloned.)
  • Be careful about eating fruits & vegetables. (This is going to be the hard part. I'm not sure if I'll like Indian food, so if I can't default to eating plain fruits and vegetables, what am I going to eat?? I have a huge box of Zone Perfect bars packed just in case.)

Anyway, I think I have all the last-minute things in order. On Friday I got my second round of hepatitis shots. This weekend I shopped for all the medication I could possibly need. My visa is coming in today's mail. I am starting my anti-malarial medication on Thursday. I still have to finish putting all of my powerpoint slides together, but I'm going to save some of that work for the 20ish hours I'll be stuck on a plane.

Let's hope I'm not forgetting anything!

No comments: