Friday, November 2, 2007

Bundi experience

All of the advice for tourists and visitors to India says "Don't buy food from street vendors!" But last week the girls convinced me to go across the street with them to one of their favorite little places. Everything was deep-fried so I figured it was safe enough - and I didn't get sick. Of course, there were some things I liked and some things I didn't. Since today's my last day we went again. This time I took my camera with me so that I could share the experience.


Health department? Running water? Hand sanitizer? Unheard of at a bundi, apparently...


Deep-fried green chilies - not my favorite item on the menu!


These are good. It's fried lentils of some sort but it just tastes like tempura-fried dough.


They insisted that I try chat (so it turns out that's not the term for internet cafe) and so I did. It was a crispy thing covered in a hot stew-like substance made of chickpeas, with fried noodles and diced tomatoes sprinkled on top. A little spicy but not bad. I look like such a girly girl with the way I'm sticking out my pinky finger. I should photoshop that out.


The bowl was actually made of leaves! Wow! I was excited to learn this. Pollution here is so bad that it's good to know at least some of their trash is biodegradable!

1 comment:

Gledwood said...

Bollocks to that!

Don't drink the local wellwater... that gave me amoebic diarrhoea!

When I was in Goa some 7 years ago I ate bhell puri (however you spell it) every night... yummyy...

Also the takaways in Chennai/Madras were wonderful... strangely all "Chinese" food and not Indian..(do you know why?)

Great stuff

I will give you a shout on my blog!

All the best

Gledwood
"Vol 2"...