Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Misadventures of Team Windtex and Cap'n Ted



On Saturday morning, we all woke up early because we had to meet our boats and make it across the channel to Lanai for the 8:00 relay start. My team met our boat captain, Ted (who reminded me of the stoned old guy from "That 70s Show") and looked over his little sailboat with skepticism.

After Ted finally worked out the dinghy situation, the 7 of us (6 relay team members plus Phil) FINALLY made it onto the boat and left the harbor around 6:30, which should have been more than enough time to make it to Lanai before 8:00. Unfortunately, the motor on the sailboat must have been powered by hamsters. Two hours later, we STILL hadn't made it to Lanai, and the race director was holding the start just for us. Another team was kind enough to zip out to us, pick up our lead swimmer, and take him back to the beach at Lanai so that the race could start.

It took "Team Windtex" 5 hours, 10 minutes to cross the 9.5-mile channel. Keep in mind that this was while we had to deal with a completely clueless boat captain who actually RAN OVER one of our swimmers! We also lost our lead swimmer for a while since we weren't with him at the start. What a day.


Laura #1


Laura #1 finishes her 30-minute leg and Laura #2 starts her 30-minute leg


Me taking a breather on my 30-minute leg. I thought for sure I was almost done so I rolled over and swam a little backstroke so that I could ask them how much time I had left. I had only been swimming for 15 minutes!


Enjoying teddy grahams and propel to get the saltwater taste out of my mouth!

No comments: