Saturday, August 6, 2011

To find out or not to find out?

We're approaching that time where it would be possible to find out our baby's gender via ultrasound. I have an appointment in about 3 weeks.

Back in May when we first found out that we were expecting, I couldn't wait to get to 20 weeks so I could know that first tidbit of information about who this baby is. Then a number of people told me about how they didn't find out in advance, and how it was truly life's most amazing surprise. I started to wonder if finding out the baby's gender in advance would feel like peeking at my presents before Christmas.

We're still not 100% certain but I think we're leaning towards letting it be a delivery-room surprise. I don't think it will be any inconvenience not to know in advance, since I want to have as many neutral, re-usable baby things as possible. I think it will be more memorable to let the baby make its own little announcement, rather than hearing the news from an ultrasound technician.

We'll see if I can hold my resolve when I'm actually at the doctor's office, having the ultrasound, knowing that the technician probably already knows and I don't.

No comments: